Mangoes Take Center Stage at the Key West Festival June 22-25
May 17, 2023 • KW Tourist
The Mango Fest, an annual celebration of one of Key West's most delectable indigenous fruits, is will be held from Thursday, June 22, through Sunday, June 25. This year's festival, the seventh of its kind, aims to salute the cherished mango and its heritage.
- Mango, often referred to as the "king of fruit", has been an integral part of Florida Keys recipes for generations.
- This summer festival celebrates this sweet tropical fruit that is abundant in the Keys.
- Mangos, available from late May through October, are frequently incorporated into a variety of dishes such as salads, seafood sauces, and desserts.
The Key West Police Athletic League, the organization responsible for presenting the festival, cultivates positive relationships between the community's youth and police officers via educational, recreational, and athletic activities promoting teamwork and self-esteem. Proceeds from the festival are intended to support PAL's local youth programs.
Highlights and Activities
A key attraction of the festival is the Mango Mania Vendor Village, which offers free admission. Visitors to the festival can expect a variety of mango-themed exhibits and offerings, including:
- Booths with mango-related artisanal wares.
- A range of exhibits, books, and gift items centered around the tropical fruit.
- Delectable edibles featuring mango as a primary ingredient.
The village is open for exploration and enjoyment on Saturday, June 24, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Key West's Bayview Park, located at 1320 Truman Ave. Festival-goers can also partake in intriguing demonstrations to deepen their understanding of mangoes.
Furthermore, the winners of the festival's mango-themed photo contest are set to be announced at the village. The contest is open to everyone, with the only stipulation being that submitted pieces must depict the mango in some form. Entries, which are accepted through June 22, can be posted at the festival's official website, where fans can vote for their favorites.
- The festival is scheduled to kick off with a party at the Garden Café, presented by Chef Eniko Bancs, on Thursday, June 22, from 5-7 p.m.
- The subsequent days are planned to showcase restaurants' mango menu offerings and a gala dinner in the Lower Keys.
- The festivities are set to conclude with the "Everything Mango Brunch" at midday on Sunday, June 25. This event, hosted at the Lost Kitchen Supper Club, will feature a menu designed by Chef Martin Liz with mango-centric dishes like mango-fennel chicken sausage, mango-bourbon French toast casserole, and lobster Benedict with mango hollandaise sauce.
According to the Mango Fest organizers, registration on the festival's official website is mandatory for all events, with lucky registrants standing a chance to win prizes. For additional event and schedule information, visit the Mango Fest website.