Key West Marlin Tournament to Award $50,000 in Cash Prizes
May 23, 2023 • KW Tourist
The renowned Key West Marlin Tournament, in its 41st year, will be challenging participants from Wednesday through Saturday, July 19-22, with a guaranteed cash purse of $50,000 up for grabs. Established in 1982, the tournament drew in 400 anglers targeting marlin in the waters off America's southernmost city, embodying the spirit of Ernest Hemingway's 1930s billfish battles.
A Historical Event
- The Key West Marlin Tournament aligns with the annual Hemingway Days celebration, an homage to the author's work and sporting lifestyle.
- It began with the fighting spirit of 400 anglers and continues to draw sport fishing enthusiasts who test their skills against blue marlin, white marlin, and spearfish.
Prizes and Awards
- Teams accumulating the most points for releasing blue marlin, white marlin, and spearfish during the tournament's three fishing days stand to divide $40,000 in cash.
- The first-place prize is set at $25,000, followed by second and third place prizes of $10,000 and $5,000, respectively.
- Participating teams also have the chance to enter one fun fish (dolphin fish, tuna, wahoo, or released sailfish) per boat per day to increase their point total.
- Boats participating in the marlin division can opt to compete for an additional $10,000 cash prize in the fun fish division.
Registration and Schedule
- Final registration is set for 4 p.m. Wednesday, July 19, at the tournament tent at Stock Island Marina Village, followed by a captains meeting, auction, and raffle.
- Fishing lines will be in the water from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Thursday and Friday, July 20 and 21, and from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, July 22.
- Weigh-ins will take place from 4-6 p.m. Thursday and Friday and from 3-5 p.m. Saturday at Stock Island Marina Village.
- Post weigh-in events include a dinner at the Hogfish Bar & Grill on Thursday and an island-style pig roast at El Siboney Stock Island on Friday, both starting at 6:30 p.m.
- The tournament awards banquet will take place on Saturday night at the Key West Marriott Beachside Hotel, commencing with cocktails and a silent auction at 6:30 p.m., followed by dinner and awards presentations at 7:30 p.m.
- Entry fees for the tournament are set at $2,550 per boat for two anglers to participate in the marlin division and attend tournament social events.
- For an additional $450 entry fee per boat, marlin division competitors can qualify for cash prizes in the fun fish division.
- There's no limit to the number of anglers per boat, and additional anglers beyond the initial two can register for $250 each, which includes social privileges. Additional social tickets can be purchased for $150 each.
- Tournament information and registration: KeyWestMarlin.com
This summer, the Key West Marlin Tournament promises not only a thrilling fishing experience but also a myriad of social events and generous cash prizes, honoring the tradition of Ernest Hemingway's sporting lifestyle.